Website Manager

Early Registration ends February 28, Sign Up early to receive a discount!

Content



Westbrook Little League Minutes
May 21, 2018



Attendance:
Randy MacWhinnie
Lori MacWhinnie
John Clark
Joe DeRoche
Amanda McLaskey
Kristen Damon
Sasha Johnson
Bryan Harvie
Heather Seavey
Melissa Remington
Jennifer Wescott
Guest:
Mike Swaltz - neighbor
Mike Swaltz advised he has been a neighbor for 13 years – he loves living next to the ball field and
enjoys the kids laughter. He comes to the meeting with a few concerns/issues. Mike advised he has
noticed younger kids tend to migrate behind the club house and at time get rambunctious – He
recommends putting up a fence or having supervision there to keep children out from behind the
clubhouse/garage.
- When kids are behind the building, no one can see them, and they are not being supervised.
- Mike advised he would like to have a landscaper to come in and trim trees on WLL property, so
he can see the skyline better.
- Board approved putting up a temporary fence with a sign
- Board agreed with Mike bringing in a landscaper to trim up trees and brush – Board offered to
take care of this and he offered to do this at his cost.
Mike thanked everyone and left.
Board meeting began
4/23/18 meeting minutes – motion to accept -Bryan - second Amanda – board accepted minutes
Treasurer report: checking account 19,867; savings 27,641.77 – treasure report was emailed to
secretary prior to meeting and will be attached to the minutes.
Randy advised due to complaints received, we have ordered new bats for the minor league. These bats
will be kept at the club house - they will be signed out and need to be returned to the club house each
night- bats will be labeled for majors and minors.
Randy rec'd phone call saying someone possibly got food poison at the snack shack - everything got
cleaned thoroughly at the snack shack –
- discussion on lower snack shack having grilled food:


lower snack shack would need a lot of work in order to have burgers/grill food


Around the Table:
Louis
- parking for umps- 2 umps approached him as they didn't have anywhere to park – they advised if
they don't have a place to park they won't stay. Umps currently have 4 spots.
Bryan
- play off schedule starts June the 6
th
; ends Saturday the 16th
7pm championship game - last 4 games are at 7pm.


- Need to order shirts for 12 year olds that are leaving - all 12 year old names on the back
Joe D
- Eggberts came to spray for weeds – however, there was someone in the parking lot that told
them we were all set and that we had a contract already with someone else. the guy turned
around and left.
- Are Signs and banners for this year ready?


Melissa advised 4 are done. Randy confirmed the rest need to all be replaced.


- wants brackets for poles, they haven't been ordered yet, checking with Tom to see if there are
any on hand already. If not they need to be ordered.
- Lower snack shack - will stop serving burgers as they cannot keep them warm.
- Reminder that calendars are due Wednesday
John C - nothing
Randy –
- He needs an answer by the end of the week for tournament directors


need someone by Thursday to do the tournaments or league is charged $400 -
starts June 22nd- at least 2 weeks - break for 4th of July
Board members need to help volunteer during tournaments
Confirmed later on in meeting 9/10 tournament directors: Louis Lampron & Sasha
Johnson
Confirmed after meeting softball tournament director: John Clark


Kristen
- are we having tabs at the snack shack?


no tabs for anyone


Amanda - nothing


Jenn


- lions have 11 kids on the roaster-
1 got hurt and is no longer playing and another that got hit during a scrimmage and will


not hit during the game.
1 minor league player was brought up to fill position


- if player who got hit doesn't bat it is an automatic out each time he comes up in the batting
roster.
- All-star discussion:
32 -12 year olds
19- 11 year olds
14- 9/10s
need to wait till forms are in to decide how to split teams
need 12 - 11 year olds for all stars - if any get pulled up to 12 year old team there may not
have enough for the 11 year old team.
need to get all-star slips to Jenn or Randy to make voting list
kids usually pick 6 and the managers pick the rest


- Jenn to send an email/message to all managers to get all-star forms in by Wednesday night
- Amanda to send email to all majors re all-star forms and to send them to Jenn by Wednesday
Heather - nothing
John M
- bought 4 bats 27inch/19oz - advised to order 4 more
- ordering all star hats this week - needs to know how many to order.
- needs to know what style uniforms to get for softball
- needs to get more field conditioner before tournaments
Hillary/Anne
- snack shack was shut down on Saturday as volunteers did not have background checks done.
These need to be done prior to volunteering.
- there are now gloves in the shack for those handling food
- cash people cannot touch food
- getting hand sanitizers for snack shack - 1 for each shack
Melissa- nothing
Lori
- child protection program is being taken very seriously –


email received says “mind your own business” is no longer an acceptable term.


All must report suspected situations, you are considered a mandated reporter.
- another email rec'd re altering a helmet advises this may void the certification of the helmet.
Board will be buying a helmet for the child who got hit as we added a guard which is now
considered an alteration.


- end of season parties for teams-
softball movie night - softball majors and minors only


$350 for end of year party - per league


- the 16th is the majors championship game - minors/instructional can use the field the rest of the
week for under the lights games.
- Last year we started doing a $500 scholarship – we need to come up with criteria for who should
get the award
Anne –
- has a list of things for the cleaning lady
- the cleaning lady went out and bought her own cleaning supplies and expected us to refund her.
Sasha will look into seeing what others charge for commercial cleanings, so we can
compare prices.
Additional discussions:
Louis stated in regard to the end of season – we used to do a nice banquet in September at the high
school and recognized the teams who won and the all-star teams – He stated we may get more
volunteers if coaches felt they were still part of the league during the summer.
Westbrook together days
- we are marching in the parade –
- we need to let managers know to have teams be there at 9:45am.
- Ok to bring candy to toss to crowd.
Next meeting: Monday June 18th @ 7pm




WLL Board Meeting Minutes
April 23, 2018



Attendance:
Lewis Lampron
Hillary Damon
Kristen Damon
Paul Dalrymple
Tom England
Melissa Remington
Jenn Wescott
Joe DeRoche
Phil Petry
Sasha Johnson
Bryan Harvie
John Clark
Heather Seavey
Amanda McLaskey
John McArthy
Randy Macwhinnie
Lori Macwhinnie
Anne Harvey
Previous meeting minutes – Motion: John M; second: Bryan – board accepted
Phil
- treasurer report passed around-
- home depot- tax exempt is set up
- home run dance – cash- $2929 cards $3420 - total $7304 raised
- we are using td bank clover- (credit cards at the shack) and getting charged an inactivity fee
each month when not in use - there can be a swipe for .01 to avoid the fee - fee = $25
- current gross profit - from registrations, sponsorship etc $22,124


expenses $27,571
checking- $6,873
savings - $27,639
$34,513 total


- need to get invoices from Melissa - we have about 2/3 of sponsor money
- got mower fixed - $766 -


need to get equipment flushed and fixed up- preventative maintenance- board agreed


- Jr's softball dissolved- all checks have been sent out
Jenn
- Confirmed all-stars is handled by coaches
- Suggested cleanup day mid-season - bring all leagues in for cleanup – we do this before
tournaments
- made a coach’s handbook – would be good for T-ball, instructional, minors etc –


hand book includes contact information for board members, rules of 2 adults present,
timeline of when they would get information, basics information for coaches to go over is it
something we would want/use? board agreed it would be beneficial
- Jenn to get her father’s logo (jpeg) to Melissa for sign as a thank you
John M
- softball - needs another L screen –


- has replacement pants - there are extras-
haven't heard from Sappi on pants


- needs to get 2 more Ts
- bats- anything under 27" is USA approved w/ sticker - board has stickers for bats
minors league needs to let John know if bats are needed
- baseball batting cage- doesn't have a net - $450-$500 for net - Jenn motion for batting net- Anne
second - board approved
Anne
- cleaning lady is coming tomorrow - club house needs to be cleaned out


after completed code on door will be changed


cleaning lady- we pay her a lot of money and not a lot gets done
she currently does bathrooms - and 1 big clean -
as discussed previously - we need to make her a checklist to tell her what to clean


- Concessions:


majors boys schedule is done for concessions - instructional and minors is included as
well
pending softball minors schedule to complete concessions schedule
Joe asked if there will be training for concessions – there is usually someone present who
has done it before to teach new people
opening day - no one is scheduled yet
will send concessions schedule via email
early games will there be donuts breakfast? Yes, also can do breakfast sandwiches


Amanda –
- our current website has a new fanwear store - just need a logo and dicks does all the orders.


league gets 7.5% of sales returned
we can upload team logos as well – Board approved - majors and minor logos to be
uploaded.
Hillary -nothing
Kristen - nothing
Sasha
- met with coaches last night
- coaches: pending background checks


minors –
B2 electric- Brian Heal - Pete Wescott assist Mitch Kosoff
Duck pond- Tim Johnson
McDonalds - Reed Griffin Tamara G
CCTF Credit Union - Warren Winchester & Brandon Brewer
instructional -
Roofa- Matt Tibbets - Jeremey Johnson
McDaniel & Compote - Shawn Reid
Cavallero- Christo Strautis


- foster field? are we able to use it? yes - need to get a port-a-potty and get field cleaned up-
remind parents they cannot park in the parking lot


strictly for practices


- east bridge field? drop in only and currently not added to insurance
- equipment


went through all the equipment- met with coaches-
head coaches took first aid kits –


- is it ok to hand out new handbook? yes
- will they be selling calendars also? Yes, minors and instructional will be included
- sponsorships- a coach thought it would be neat if someone from the sponsor ship came to a
game - sponsors were invited to opening day- discussed team picture being given to sponsors as
well
Paul-
- T-ball coaches: pending background checks
Anderson walker - Michael Connolly -
Carpet Specialists - Daniel Allen - (Kim Sullivan volunteered for concessions)
Drouin Dance - Frost & Matt Jones
Knight Property - Justin Paul - Tom LaRose - Emily Tibbets
State farm - Paul Dalrymple - Jeffrey Boynton & Amanda Mclaskey


- concessions - will have people at concessions already during T -ball – if parents want to
volunteer they can fill out background checks and volunteer.
- do we have anymore keys to get into buildings? they will all be number pads soon
- T-ball, minor and instructional all need balls
Melissa


- needs information asap for pennants in order to get a price- the more we get the less they are
- some pennants need to be replaced - sun washed
- all invoices are out for sponsors – they have all been emailed and called
John C
- Minor softball coaches - pending background checks
John & Heather Clark - Jamie Steed
Moody’s- Brian Ross &Evan Reinhardt
Heidi Stoddard, Jon Clark, & Jen Waterman
- need to get teams and coaches to Lori for announcements
Joe D
- Clean up day:


had people there but signs weren't ready to go out - what do we need to do to put it up?
we didn't have much for them to do- we weren't ready- need to plan better
backstop/fence - who is putting it up? Randy will reach out to Peter
Cornelia sign needs to be put up, bought brackets to put up last year - should be in the
drawer
would like flag holders on the light poles
home plate- there is a corner of batting box that is raised- Randy advised it needs to be
shaved down and someone could show them how to do this.


- raffles tickets- all tickets need to be in Thursday night - all money will be counted
would like coaches to take cash and write a check to make counting easier
no later than Thursday - 7pm
tell parents to turn in on Wednesday


- high school softball game? Confirmed it would be there on Monday
- power hitting at the cages? is there someone to do it? no
- PA system - Matt Brenner says he can clean them up and fix it


1 speaker sounds terrible.


- calendars –


everything is ready to go - passed around for board to review - has instructions for the
coaches
prizes - mini i-pad and gift cards
would like everyone to sell them (all leagues) during the month of May –
drawing is the month of June
start with 10 per person


- ordered baseball stickers - gave all girls a softball sticker –


$3 at the concessions stand.
- softball bathroom - putting a key pad on this
- can we put a key pad on the equipment room? It has a pad lock as it gets broken into
- half door? it has to be special ordered - currently just put a sign and enforce rule of no kids
- Tom hung 2 signs at the softball field –


“before you complain, have you volunteered yet?”
just ordered 6 more for fields and snack shacks


- lining the field? Who does this? coaches do this - skilled people will show you how
Brian -
- what are his responsibilities on opening day?


doing the raffle – announcing the winners and top kid sellers
give out the Ryan Campbell award
no trophy place around here anymore
there is one in Biddeford
will need to order trophies
may need to use a paper certificate


- Brian can get a lift for Thursday to put pennants and lights up - will not be for free anymore.
Lewis-
- Do we have someone for the Don Meserve award? yes we have someone for it
- umpire schedule given to Joe and Brian –


so many games for softball finding it difficult to get umps for 9/10s
baseball is all set and 11/12 softball is all set


- tell coaches if they get rained out to call ump to see if they can do the makeup if not call Lewis to
get someone set up


- high school kids will be doing scrimmages – call Greg Souza if games rained out.
- any adult umps need to fill out background checks


Lewis read through rule changes not in this year’s book
15 run rule after 2.5 innings is a complete game
pitching rule- 2nd visit same inning pitcher comes out
softball - if a pitcher pitches then moves to outfield and comes back to pitch count
continues
fielding and batting gloves cannot have the same color as the softball
- umps get meal deal with water or soda - only hot dog, hamburger, chicken burger- no clam
cakes - no Gatorades - if they want Gatorade it is a $1 charge
- senior night- is league charging for use of the field? no charge - always welcome at fields
- Lewis needs clickers for volunteer umps - will get at Dicks - need about 12
- umpire rule books haven't come yet
Lori
- VPs - need to grab first aid stuff off tables
- need schedules for each division for picture day - May 12th
- ASEP manual is in the cupboard - DO NOT REMOVE FROM THE CLUB HOUSE – (safety
manual - includes concessions safety, field safety, injury reports)
league needs to submit a new safety idea that we would implement in the league - every
team having 2 adults that have passed the background check with team at all times -
will need to add to the bylaws - Lori motion - Bryan second- board accepted
- VPs to email teams and coaches to Lori to ensure all background checks are in
- Opening day


Rowe family is all set for 1st pitch - dad will throw
need a 12 year old catcher- tickets - Caleb Reid
Softball - city champ - twin electric - catcher? she aged out - send to Lori
Lewis is throwing 1st pitch for softball
Randy calls board up - all board members should go up - wear Westbrook blue
we usually recognize any volunteer who has passed - has anyone passed? Lori to check
with Lewis
VPs come up for raffle
national anthem - all set
girls softball is coming - Eddy St John "SJ" - and Ani
Lori will be here around 8/830
- NEEDS ALL BACKGROUND CHECKS
- if any player gets injured we need an incident form filled out
Heather
- has oil and red sox tickets, needs Dicks and Hannaford GCs
Tom
- has a list of things that need to get done this week before Opening Day
- needs to get flowers, mulch,
- need to get trash barrels out
- advised to make a list and things will be done on Thursday and Friday- practices cancelled.
Sasha
- a coach wants to do a meet and greet with team - he can do it in the parking lot any time - can't
use conference room on Thursday d/t counting raffles.
Cavallaro has a meeting on Wednesdays with team


Next meeting:
Sunday May 20th - 6pm
Thursday April 26th - board counting tickets- 6pm-9pm

Contact Us

Westbrook Little League

429 Bridge St. 
Westbrook, Maine 04092

Email Us: [email protected]
Phone : 207-939-8070
Copyright © 2019 Westbrook Little League  |  Privacy Statement |  Terms Of Use |  License Agreement |  Children's Privacy Policy  Login